So I decided last week to dip my toe into this thing called Artificial Intelligence (AI). It started with Constant Contact, which now has an AI component to translate my boring description of our events into happenings that you simply must attend. Pretty cool.
Then I tried ChatGPT. Super cool! I asked a simple question, "What is a Chamber of Commerce?" I could not have written a more accurate and nuanced answer. You can read it below.
For better or for worse AI is here and it's impact will be felt everywhere. There are certainly many ways in which it can be a helpful business tool. At the Chamber, we are looking forward to bringing in speakers who can address AI for business so that you can learn what to do and maybe more importantly, what not to do. Stay tuned.
Oh, and by the way, when you read below, don't take my word for it. Take ChatGPT's.
Tom O'Rourke, CCE
President and CEO
"A chamber of commerce is an organization that represents and promotes the interests of businesses within a particular geographic area. It acts as a local advocate for the business community, aiming to enhance economic growth and development in the region.
Chambers of commerce are typically formed as nonprofit entities and are governed by a board of directors composed of business leaders and professionals. They can be found at various levels, including local, regional, national, and international.
The primary functions of a chamber of commerce include:
1. Networking and Relationship Building: Chambers provide opportunities for businesses to connect with one another, fostering relationships and collaborations. They often organize networking events, business expos, and trade shows to facilitate interactions among their members.
2. Advocacy and Representation: Chambers serve as the voice of the business community and advocate for policies that promote a favorable business environment. They engage in lobbying efforts, work with government officials, and represent the interests of businesses on issues such as taxation, regulation, and economic development.
3. Business Support and Resources: Chambers offer various resources and support services to their members. This can include business education programs, mentoring, access to business tools and databases, and assistance with navigating government regulations.
4. Promotion and Marketing: Chambers play a role in promoting local businesses and attracting investment to their region. They may engage in marketing campaigns, produce business directories, and participate in tourism initiatives to highlight the advantages of the area for businesses and visitors alike.
5. Community Engagement: Chambers often get involved in community initiatives and events. They collaborate with other organizations, support local charities, and participate in activities that contribute to the overall well-being of the community.
Joining a chamber of commerce can provide businesses with networking opportunities, access to resources, and a platform for influencing local policies. It allows them to be part of a collective effort to strengthen the business environment and contribute to the growth of the community.